The following program contains violence, swearing, and nudity week after week. Readers guidance advised.
The episode starts with Ray’s morning, more sad than funny. I always liked Ray, even if he did fake his crippledness last season out of laziness. It sure is better than a lot of what the other characters do. Hence, the two crapbags in Ray’s life: a literal bag to expel waste (like Kreiger), and Archer.
Krieger tells Ray he has a way to fix his paraplegics via bionics. The cons are Pam and Cheryl (who ends up getting distracted and not helping them) as his assistants, and Krieger being Krieger. The selling point is his penis will also “work” again, and Archer is angry about it. Archer has a hate of robots, after Barry, Katya, and a sexual experience involving a vacuum as a teenager.
Meanwhile, Rodney, the weaponry catalogue Mallory hired, is being a pain. He actually enforces her rules, saying she had a pre approved list for the Rome mission. Lana’s usual threats didn’t work over the lock on the strong doors. Archer is more annoyed he can’t take a rocket launcher with him on the mission. He ends up asking Mallory to get him a launcher, who gives it to Archer to spite her husband’s pushing for a cruise.
In surgery, Krieger and Pam are as awful/awesome of a team as one would expect. With futuristic technology and historical sanitation procedures (Pam’s pretty buzzed), they still manage to get along pretty well. Archer keeps trying to do the reverse, screw them and stop them. He tried shooting through the door with a regular gun, but realizes he’d do more damage with the rocket launcher and cashes that note in. Lana and Cyril, now on Kreiger’s side, think of how to stop him.
Lana calls Rodney and says Archer forged the note from Mallory.Rodney locks the door, Archer tries breaking through the door with the launcher, the door is rocket proof. With that failing, he escapes through the vents. Lana, Cyril, and Cheryl heat the office at 90°, which stops Archer in his bare tracks for 3 days. The surgery is successful, Mallory comes back from her cruise, and Archer falls out from the vent system.
The bombastic tone is high this episode, with an original plotline. It’s easy to be unorthodox with the Archer characters, but very refreshing all the same.
- I never thought to put Pam with Krieger, but I wouldn’t ask for anything else to happen.
- Ray’s morning greetings. “Hello, crippling debt” is my personal favorite.
- Lana reminds Mallory’s husband of the head mechanic at one of his car dealerships. “He’s a black, too.”
- Cheryl spending the episode in the weaponry catalogue, and being turned on by physical and emotional abuse. No wonder she works at ISIS.
- Archer’s idea to put maps of the vents in the vents.
- Mallory’s rebuttle: “I won’t even waste however much dry erase it will take to write that down.”
- Mallory flashback where she has the blue-black hair.